Re: Questions

From: Luboš Doležel
Subject: Re: Questions
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 10:10:06 +0100

On 02/29/2016 07:17 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
Quote:*run existing Cocoa apps*

Do you mean to try to run Mac binaries on Linux?

If so, that is the domain of an emulator. One that is trying to
emulate a proprietary platform which is the property of a very large,
wealthy, litigious company. That is unreasonable and unrealistic IMHO.
Outlandish is your term, not mine.

When this is brought up, I always interject :-)

http://www.darlinghq.org. Already runs many binaries, also Apple's toolchain (with the notable exception of xcodebuild, which depends on half of the operating system), soon should be able to fully host a Jenkins/TC build slave. It can mount DMG images, install PKGs and it provides a more or less complete OS X shell environment.

As far as the relationship between Darling and GNUstep is concerned, Darling builds on GNUstep's Foundation (with tighter CF integration), extends on GNUstep's CoreFoundation and develops its own AppKit (for various technical reasons, over which I don't want to do flamewars here).

Given how far I got with my one man show, it is for sure not unrealistic. In a way, GNUstep is currently a ~3 man show, given that I see only ca. 3 truly active committers.

And I don't know what could Apple sue me over.

P.S.: Darling's AppKit is already more advanced than the nothing that can be seen in Git (in some NIB compatibility areas, it is already more advanced than GNUstep). But I won't do any commits for a long time, because people are very impatient and I don't want to receive 5 mails per day saying "hey, your AppKit sucks, hey this commit breaks build" etc.

--
Luboš Doležel