Re: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Wind

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows)
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 17:02:22 +0000

> In my observation, there are two sides in this discussion:
>
> a) we do coding only for our own benefit. If others find this beneficial, we
> are happy, but we do nothing for them, especially if they demand. They can do
> themselves, because we need more manpower.

This is not the GNUstep side.  So please be clear that this is not a viewpoint
shared with the GNUstep project (I hjope it's not yours).
IMO this is primarily a view promulgated by trolls as a 'straw man' argument
(ie claim GNUstep is something it's not, then attack it for being that
imaginary thing).

> b) we should learn about what others outside of our little world think and
> need and do at least a little for them. This will attract these "others" to
> really use what we do. And if we are lucky, there will be good coders amongst
> them who start to contribute and we get more manpower.

This *is* what GNUstep has been doing for decades now.  Arguably it's not
working, but I still think it's basically the right approach.