Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 01:54:35 -0500

  > > The unfortunate part of this is that GitHub has been successful at
  > > achieving a great deal of notoriety and going anywhere else would be
  > > considered "obscure.”

  > My point is that the website you see at https://github.com URL is
  > not the actual component of Github that handles the business. It
  > is https://api.github.com/ that does all the heavylifting.

The criterion in question is about the usual interface, which is
github.com.  How that is implemented -- what parts there are, and
which one does "heavylifting" -- is beside the point.

  > The Linux kernel, probably the single biggest GPL-licensed
  > codebase, is GPLv2-only.

The existence of opposition to GPL v3 is why we need to push back.
For instance, Apple (a company that never valued the users' freedom)
opposes GPLv3 _because_ it defends the users' freedom better.

Repo criterion C5 is one of the things we are doing to push back.

Your arguments are based on goals that don't fit the GNU Project.

--
Dr Richard Stallman