Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab

From: Maxthon Chan
Subject: Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 05:16:55 +0800

If the Czech law forbid transferring of copyright should we deny all Czech
entities from contributing, as whatever document signifying the transfer of
rights will not stand in a Czech court? Chinese law listed a few rights
permanently untransferable and does that affect me, being a citizen of China,
in contributing work back?

The legal umbrella can also work if the contributor signed a delegation
document allowing the project leader, or FSF, to sue GPL violator in his name.
So if this delegation of right of lawsuit work, by the principal of least
privileges, why transfer copyright in the first place? And this delegation does
not need to be signed as a precondition of contribution in the first place, and
can be even issued starting from a case-by-case basis.

Even scarier, what if someone controlling FSF after RMS suddenly decided to
relicense all code they own to something proprietary and ask all contributors
to surrender their FSF-owned code, sending out DMCA notices in the process
which will legally stand given the license transfers before? Although this is
movie plot straight out of Tron series but given the similarity of Flynn and
RMS+Woz and the greediness of the rest of the world in general this is not that
far fetched, and it have happened at least once already (when Oracle bought Sun
and reversed a few of Sun’s GPL licensing decisions, the very licensing scare
that created MariaDB and LibreOffice projects)

Dangerous territory ahead, folks.