Re: Plans for ahead

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 10:41:17 +0100

Hi Svetlana,

Svetlana A. Tkachenko wrote:
(Another thing that came to my mind was a proper free desktop
distribution that focuses on packaging GNUStep stuff and not programs
written for other UI toolkits (this is very rare for any Linux
distributions to discourage users from running programs written for
another desktop) but that's subject for a separate discussion...)

i think such a distribution would be more a philosophical attempt that would end up showing the utter incompleteness of a GNUstep environment. Most Linux distribution favour a certain Toolkit or environment (shall it be GTK or even GNOME) but since non of them offers a real complete application palette that goes from web browsing to image application to office to whatever, or, if they do, maybe the better program is the "other one", no one goes down this route.

E.g. maybe you want KDE. You have the default stuff. For Office KOffice or Open/Libre Office? and browsing? There still KDE has good choices. But then for image stuff you would resort to GIMP and Inkscape.

Perhaps the best card deck is covered by GNOME/GTK, since even if not "gnome" other GTK application blend nicely in. So for example You can have Xfce, then Firefox, GIMP and Inkscape blend quite well in. No real native Office suite, but for the end-user OpenOffice will fit in.

On GNUstep, because of its distinctive design, an application like OpenOffice sticks out immediately.

Perhaps we could do with some "ports" similar to the Mac ones, to have a more integrated look. It could be perhaps done for Firefox/Seamonkey and OpenOffice. With our menu subsystem, app bundles and some integration it would be nice.

Without, it would be a bad advertisement, like the original "GNUstep LiveCD" ended up to be.

Riccardo