Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work

From: Luboš Doležel
Subject: Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 09:37:36 +0100

On 11/17/2015 04:34 AM, Maxthon Chan wrote:
> Sorry…
>
> If this is the case then I would suggest those AppKit and UIKit
> enhances, sort of bringing GNUstep up to speed with OS X:
>
> 1) Storyboards. This is how Xcode arrange user interfaces now. 2)
> QuartzCore and WIndowServer based on Wayland and EGL. This will
> replace Window Maker with a higher performance interface engine, and
> replace gnustep-back entirely. (“windowmaker-wayland” is a
> Wayland-only compositor that have the OS X look and feel,
> “gnustep-qe” implements QuartzCore API using Wayland and EGL, and
> gnustep-gui rewritten to use gnustep-qe instead of gnustep-back) 3)
> Metal, which can be mapped to Vulcan(“gnustep-metal-vulcan”), Mantle
> (for AMD cards, “gnustep-metal-mantle”) or CUDA (for nVIDIA cards,
> “gnustep-metal-cuda”) 4) SceneKit and SpriteKit, both can be
> implemented on top of Metal. 5) loginwindow (which is necessary in
> building a complete desktop experience)

Well, the biggest problem is the (nearly) complete lack of integration
between CoreBase & Base (NSRunLoop) and opal & quartzcore & gnustep-gui.
And even apps that don't make any CG/CA calls cause crashes, simply
because -gui was never really tested with real OS X apps.

(I will work on CFRunLoop-based NSRunLoop in near future.)

Right now, my impression is that if I spend a few months hacking on a
new CG/CA/AppKit implementation layered on top of Qt's accelerated
rendering engine, it will suck big time, but still have a better
compatibility and performance.

2) My point is not to clone OS X, so I'd leave this to X11/Qt/...

3) and 4) The question is how many apps need this.

--
Luboš Doležel