Re: Problems building gnustep-base on Ubuntu Linux with clang/llvm-3.7

From: David Lobron
Subject: Re: Problems building gnustep-base on Ubuntu Linux with clang/llvm-3.7
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:09:54 -0400

> This implies that you’re linking the wrong libobjc.  _Block_copy is provided
> by libobjc2, so if you can’t find it then you’re probably linking the gcc
> libobjc.  Did you force-uninstall the gcc objective-c package?

Ah, you are right.  I modified the conftest.c compile command so that it has
-L/usr/lib as the first -L argument, and it now compiles fine (my libobjc from
libobjc2 lives in /usr/lib, whereas the gcc versions are in
/usr/lib/gcc/ARCH/VERSION/...).

I didn't realize it was necessary to force-uninstall the gcc libobjc.  This may
not be possible for me, because I'm compiling in a build system where I do not
have root access.  Is there a way to tell my gnustep clang compilations to use
/usr/lib for libobjc?  I could try modifying the configure scripts to add
-L/usr/lib first on every command line's list of link directories, but I'm a
bit worried that that might interfere with something else.  I will keep
looking, but please let me know if there's a canonical way to do it.

Thank you,

David