Re: gorm problem

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gorm problem
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 07:39:48 +0100

> On 1 Jul 2015, at 21:05, allynm <mark.allyn@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Fred,
>
> When I compile a non-gui application using gnustep everything works fine.  I
> have ARC, I have blocks, and I have functioning dispatch queues.  And no
> aborts or mismatches of version 9 with runtime 8.
>
> When I try to run a gui program however it immediately bombs with the
> aforementioned error.
>
> Something about gui's…..

Well that sounds like your gnustep-base library was built/linked with one
version of the runtime, and your gnustep-gnu library (or perhaps some other
library using in gui programs) was built/linked with a different version of the
runtime.
When you then try to run any gui app, parts of the app will expect/use
different runtime libraries.
Rather than trying to work out which bits are using the wrong runtime, it’s
generally easier to build everything from scratch … on modern machines that
only takes a few minutes of actual compile/build time.

The correct order is:
1. configure/build/install gnustep-make if you need it to build the runtime
(depends which runtime you want to use, otherwise skip this stage)
2. configure/build/install the runtime (to be absolutely safe, make sure you
remove any/all old runtimes first)
3. configure/install gnustep-make (again … so it knows about the runtime you
just built/installed)
4. configure/build/install gnustep-gui
5. configure/build/install gnustep-back
6. everything else :-)