Re: art backend : NSView crashes

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: art backend : NSView crashes
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 23:42:33 +0200

Hi,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
Where does this new crash come from? Does it give you a better stack trace?

I tried hard, I cannot reoproduce this on on another computer. On the problematic computer (Gentoo linux, x86/32, libart 2.3.21 gcc 4.9.2)

- no optimizations (-g -O0) to compile PRICE -> no crash
- -g -O1 or -O2, I get a useless trace:

0xbfffcb89 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xbfffcb89 in ?? ()
#1  0x00000000 in ?? ()

I think it is totally unrelated to GUI and BACK.
PRICE's PRWindowController gets a notification and has this line:

  imgSize = [[[self document] activeImage] pixelSize];

this causes the crash. Supposing activeImage is nil, what pixelSize will I get? Accessing a method on a nil object? and if that method doesn't return an object but a struct?

I know that on SPARC accessing members of a NULL struct causes problems, but the above?

I substituted the code with this:

  img = [[self document] activeImage];
  imgSize = NSZeroSize;
  if (img)