Re: What is the best place to start gdomap, gdnc and gpbs?

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: What is the best place to start gdomap, gdnc and gpbs?
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 15:55:24 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

sorry for the late answer, I was busy for the last days …

Am 20.04.2015 um 09:29 schrieb Riccardo Mottola:

> Hi,
>
> Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
>> while it is obvious that sourcing GNUstep.sh should go into .profile (for sh
>> and bash) or into .cshrc (for csh) I wonder what the best place for starting
>> gdnc, gpbs and make_services is. As I learned today make_services are only
>> needed for GUI apps, not tools, right?
>
> You need to run make services only if you install a new application. Ideally,
> it should be run as an install-action my the package installer, for example.
> Since on Unix we do not usually "drag and drop" apps around like you do on
> Mac, you don't need to run it periodically.

In other words I don't need to launch make_services neither in .profile nor in
.xinitrc but only need to run it manually once after installing applications?

>> So is it a good idea to start those services in .xinitrc ? Or are there
>> other places for this which are more sensible?
>
> gpbs is only needed for GUI, xinitrc is fine. gdnc (and gdomap) can be
> started by your rc.d init.
>
> Actually, the daemon startup is quick on a modern machine, so I don't start
> anything and have the first GS app start them automatically. That way, once
> the last app closes, the daemons quit.

What would be the of starting gdnc and gdomap systemwide before somebody logs
in? Would it be needed for GNUstep based demons or is there another idea beind
using rc.d init?

The documentation of gdnc
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Tools/Reference/gdnc.html
 says: "Every user needs to have his own instance of gdnc running." So I am a
bit confused.

For gdomap what you're saying matches what
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Tools/Reference/gdomap.html
 says.

So I added the following script as /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdomap

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.subr

name=gdomap
rcvar=gdomap_enable

command="/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Tools/${name}"

load_rc_config $name

run_rc_command "$1"

and added

gdomap_enable="YES"

to the end of /etc/rc.conf

But somehow I never see a "gdomap" process appearing in top when I look for it.

> Riccardo

regards,

        Lars