Re: Using GCC

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Using GCC
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 09:08:48 +0100

On 8 Apr 2015, at 08:41, Luboš Doležel <lubos@dolezel.info> wrote:

> I'd also refrain from calling it "kernel GCD". It is true that some
> parts needed for GCD to function are in the kernel (pthreads and pthread
> workqueues), but that's it. It's a pure userspace library implemented on
> top of these primitives.

I suspect the confusion comes from the fact that the kernel interfaces used by
libdispatch (pthread_workqueue_*) are not stable.  You can not move libdispatch
between major versions of OS X and expect it to work.  You can, however, mix
code that uses libdispatch directly with code that uses the higher-level
Objective-C abstractions and Apple's docs explicitly suggest doing this.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11