Re: ANN: LuserNET 0.4.3

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ANN: LuserNET 0.4.3
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:35:19 +0200

Hi,

On 03/29/15 19:17, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

it's very great to see you and all the others doing great work on and for
GNUstep. This is said much to seldom, so seldom that some developers think
about quitting their work on GNUstep. That's why: kudos to everybody who brings
GNUstep forward.

thank you. In the case of LuserNET I didn't do anything serious, however indeed your words are of meaning right now that Fred expressed his disappointment.

The GNUstep community itself is quiet indeed. Most users do not seem interested in GUI apps or if, they don't participate.

I have no clue of LuserNET is still used, it is packaged and found in ubuntu and debian. It is still a convenient way to access e.g. our lists through the news bridge. That way you don't need to subscribe.

So now for something different. I, for instance never tried LuserNET and that
is (and you may call this reason a strange one) because of it's name. That name
is not actually transporting a positive image, while it might have been thought
as a joke or some tongue in cheek irony I think it has the same issues like
those Haxies from Unsanity had ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haxie ): their
name and their icons implied somehow to expect hackish stuff (which was true to
some degree, those extensions and their Framework Application Enhancer
sometimes did borderline stuff which caused crashes, kernel panics,
incompatibilities and sometimes strange behavior).

So I wonder if this is just me and my weirdness or if we possibly should change that name, why not to just UseNet.app? App names for
NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP and later OS X have always been very simple and descriptive like "Mail.app", "Address Book.app",
"Preview.app", "System Preferences.app" and so on. Why not following that style? Even when we prefix all our Apps with
"GNU" like "GNU Address Book.app" or the like … GNUserNet. app, hehe!

I understand your reasoning, the name is a bit of a joke, but at the end not that offending I suppose.

I don't htink renaming an application is a good idea: it causes confusion, packages in distirbutions fail to be updated, etc. All the names in tutorials, wikis... and just an internet seach will confuse people, loosing even more of the little notoriety we have. (I tried that with GDraw / Graphos and it ended bad, even if I retained the file format)

At the end this is just a bunch of patches and fixes. Sill, it is better to release them and give the app a new home with SVN, so it doesn't get lost. As I wrote one or two important fixes are still needed.

Cheers,

Riccardo