Re: Compiling GNUStep Tutorial Code on OSX Yosemite 10.10.1

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Compiling GNUStep Tutorial Code on OSX Yosemite 10.10.1
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:40:42 +0000

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:35 PM, <jimserac@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to try compiling some GNUStep Tutorial Code on OSX Yosemite as Kevin Mitchell's post indicated he has done: (This is my main desktop machine and I just upgraded to Yosemite).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/gnu.gnustep.discuss/WVZhlHIVexI

Using gnustep-make, from homebrew which uses the Cocoa framework.

To do it, apparently you have to fix or supply the missing RELEASE/AUTORELEASE macros.

Anyone have a clue how to do that ?

Maybe something like this? (Untested)

#define RELEASE(x) [(x) release]
#define AUTORELEASE(x) [(x) autorelease]
#define RETAIN(x) [(x) retain]

I spend more time trying to install GNUStep than i do actually using it.

I had no trouble installing it on Ubuntu 14.04 last summer on a desktop I have since discarded.  Now I try the same steps (posted by Schaub),

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/gnu.gnustep.discuss/ubuntu$20schaub/gnu.gnustep.discuss/MNF0kdagxZ4/B35fBXBpYTwJ

And in fails in the cmake <space> ..   stating that it can find the pthread.h but is missing some other pthread_code component.

#install libobjc2
cd ~/Downloads/libobjc2
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install

In other email you clarified that this is a separate Ubuntu 14.04 install, and is unrelated to attempting to build GNUstep tutorial code on Yosemite. Thank you.

Could you please be more specific what fails here? 'pthread_code' doesn't mean anything. Please post relevant portion of the build logs :-)

I dream of a stable GNUstep environment were I can actually try out some of the apps instead of wondering which missing component or incompatible version of what, where, is messing up the works.

Or...should I just use apt-get to install the Debian stuff on Ubuntu 14.04 ?  Will that give me enough to do compiles ?

It'll be a bit outdated, but it should work.