Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:04:32 +0000

On 30 Jan 2015, at 11:46, Lundberg, Johannes <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp>
wrote:

> I agree. For me it was complicated to understand how it works. No easy way of
> creating new projects so I copy/paste the gnumakefile and change the content.
> It's tricky to know where to add compiler and linker flags although this
> might not be only for gnustep make. I too have to keep track of two build
> systems because I code in Xcode and build and run the code on FreeBSD/Linux.
> I would welcome some improvements that would bridge the systems better.

You should talk to Greg about build tool
(http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep/tools/buildtool/).
As I understand it, the idea of this is to allow you to use XCode as a master,
and export from there to gnustep-make files allowing you to build on other
systems.
I think he largely stopped work on it, but I don't know whether that's because
it worked well enough for him, or because there was a lack of interest/support
from OSX users like yourself (maybe they didn't know about it), or if there was
some other reason.

> Isolating developers in GNUstep world is not what we want to do. We want to
> make it easier to share code and projects with other systems.

Yes ... which is one reason why I have been trying to bring this discussion
round to how we might pragmatically make it easy to select a clang/objc2/arc
setup as an alternative to the gcc/objc setup.

Trying to intermingle all the different possibilities (as we currently do) is a
mess because the clang options have been very unstable and the people using
clang don't want to add logic to transparently support them in gnustep-make, so
we have a horrid situation where you may need to supply flags in environment
variables rather than simply selecting an option once at configure time.
My feeling was that is we drop support for clang in a 'classic' setup, we can
define some new setup which enables all the latest stuff from Apple and have a
simple way for people to use that rather than the classic one.