Re: Window stacking order

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Window stacking order
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 14:57:14 +0000

 that's more intended to be a 'full environment' that doesn't back

I've started work on my own WM, but it's a mess and paused while I do another WM for university. (Since my university will claim copyright and did not explicitly let me release it under a free license, I don't intend to make it too useful -- only a learning step so I can write a proper WM).

Could you investigate window properties that may make window managers treat GNUstep windows differently? If windows have incorrect behavior, it would be very useful to fix all GNUstep apps (by fixing gnustep-back) and not require a new window manager.

I'm afraid I also find your description of the problem a bit under-detailed to be able to look at "when I have time". I'd like to be able to think what /should/ happen before actually recreating the environment. Can you specify a minimal demo environment under Ubuntu, listing:
- an X11 app
- a desktop environment
- a WM
- detailed repro steps ('i launched x, i launched y, i focused on always-on-top u, i clicked on v, v came above u')
- expected behavior
- how is always-on-top property specified -- through EWMH or by using WM's UI