Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 06:06:00 +0000

On 4 Nov 2014, at 21:05, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

> The actual bug report is about the directory ~/GNUstep/Library being
> created. Has anybody an idea, why and where we create this without
> adding any files to it?

That's created by the NSPathUtitilites code on process startup (so they are
available for the program to store things in), controlled by the
GNUSTEP_CREATE_LIBRARY_PATH setting in GNUstep.conf
See the GNUstep-base reference documentation for details of the config file
values used by the base library.

> BTW: I also have empty directories ~/.GNUstep/Library/Services and
> ~/.GNUstep/Defaults on my computer. No idea where these are coming from
> either.

The Defaults directory is used by the defaults system and controlled by
GNUSTEP_USER_DEFAULTS_DIR ... so any program will create that when it sets any
default.
The Services directory is used for pastreboard services (the Services menu in
the GUI), and I guess may be created by GUI apps and by the make_services tool.

Online documentation is in
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/Reference/index.html
 (I'm not sure how old that is, but none of this stuff has changed recently so
it's probably all current).