Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:15:31 +0100

On 27 October 2014 13:09, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
> ouch, that hurts! As one of the core developers in GAP! Being not known is a
> problem!
>
> http://gap.nongnu.org
>
> Don't you see the App release announcements? Many come from here.
>
> Short for "GNUstep Application Project" it is the home of many applications
> and frameworks either Freshly developed or ported. It is also the place
> where many existing applications that were unmaintained and where bitrotting
> found a home and get at least some maintenance and bugfix care.
>

> It is not really a "complete DE" and Etoile has for now more comprehensive
> (and perhaps more radical) goals, but we are a small team and try to keep up
> with the applications and tools first.
>
> Riccardo
>
> PS: for the sake of completeness, there is a third project involved in
> enhancing your desktop experience: Backbone. I forgot to mention it because
> it follows the philosophy of continuous development (=get your stuff from
> SVN/GIT) and did not release or announce anything since a long time. I don't
> know in which state it is. http://www.nongnu.org/backbone/
> Actually, for this reason GAP has its copy of Terminal.app for now.

Sorry! :¬(

I understand now. I think I have seen the site before but in this
context I didn't understand. I thought it was a different
GNUstep-based desktop, comparable to Étoilé.

Here is an idea for you. Not a well-thought-out proposal, merely a suggestion.

GNUstep really needs its own web browser and its own chat client, I
would say. Everything else is there already.

Firefox is very reconfigurable. Ubuntu has a Firefox Ubuntu extension
that makes Firefox "fit" with the Unity environment -- its single menu
bar at the top of the screen, control via the HUD, icon notifications
etc.

If someone took that extension and reconfigured it, Firefox could have
a GNUstep menu bar and fit into the GNUstep environment really nicely.
It does not even need to be written from scratch -- just adapted.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/xul-ext-ubufox/

https://launchpad.net/ubufox

And if there were a GNUstep-branded Google Search page as the
homepage, it would bring in a little revenue for the GNUstep project,
as well. :¬)