Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?

From: Dr Slivnik Tomaž MA (Cantab) MMath (Cantab) PhD (Cantab) FTICA
Subject: Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:05:36 +0000

On 26 Oct 2014, at 23:28, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> As for DMGs, ... I don't think we have support for that though and how it
> could be implemented in a portable way.

I don't think this is for GNUStep to support, but for (a utility running on)
the underlying operating system.

UDRW is just a raw disk image and there are existing easy ways to attach them
to device files and/or mount them on Linux, FreeBSD, etc. (e.g. mount -o loop
on Linux is one way).

Most other modern Apple disk image formats are of the form <data>, followed by
some XML, followed by 512 bytes of metadata, e.g. <data> is:

- UDRO: raw disk image as for UDRW - so should be mountable/attachable in the
same way as a UDRW
- UDBZ: raw disk image compressed with bzip2 (the entire disk image is
compressed as a whole)

etc. I don't know if there is support to attach such files / loop mount such
files on Linux etc. at present. I can't imagine it would be hard to do, though.