Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:08:19 +0100

On 26 October 2014 11:19, Asiga Nael <asiganael@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Isn't there any OS that considers GNUStep as the most important part of the
> OS while supporting the 3 features that I love from OSX (app bundles,
> dmg-like support, fat binaries)?
>
> If such OS exists, please tell, as it would be my natural move from OSX.

Sadly, no, it does not exist. Never has.

There is a FOSS project called Étoilé but they do not observe the FOSS
mantra of "release early, release often" -- in fact I don't think they
have ever made an official release, and there's not been a binary
snapshot in a decade or so.

I have long meant to, and done some preliminary fiddling and testing
towards making, a metadistro of Ubuntu LTS + GNUstep, but I don't
really have the skills.

However, this would still have the deep nastiness of a normal Linux
filesystem underneath.

There is a Linux which fixes this, called GoboLinux -- but there's no
GNUstep release for it and I lack the skills.

At present, and for the foreseeable, GNUstep is a programmer's
toolkit, which it happens to be possible to compile and run as a
partial, slightly flakey, somewhat feature-poor desktop environment.
It is not a "full" desktop, it's weirdly nonstandard in many ways that
you wouldn't expect in 21st century software (but then, it's a clone
of NeXTstep, and NeXTstep was 1980s software) and no Linux distro
incorporates it as a desktop -- not even partially and incompletely.

It's sad. If there were, the project would get a lot more attention.