Re: The Swift Programming Language: what is our position towards this?

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: The Swift Programming Language: what is our position towards this?
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 07:10:43 +0200

Am 04.06.2014 um 21:12 schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:

> Hi 'steppers,
>
> I am sure the one or another of us has heard about that new language for
> Cocoa/Cocoa Touch that Apple has recently introduced:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/Swift/Conceptual/Swift_Programming_Language/AboutTheLanguageReference.html
>
> What is our position towards this? Is there already an official GNUstep
> position?

Developed within 3 days?

> If not, what are your opinions?

I don't see yet which problem the new language solves. Maybe removing some @
signs in code. In my view even Obj-C 1.0 was feature complete to do everything
one wants in a rather neat and clean way. ObjC 2.x has simplified writing code
at some places but introduced redundancy at others.

10 years ago I started to develop CocoaBasic and the language and integration
of the Obj-C frameworks wasn't that much different from SWIFT:
http://cocoadev.com/CocoaBasic

> Does anybody know about the legal status of this language, e.g. whether we're
> allowed to support it or not?

IMHO languages are not protected or protectable.

> Happy stepping,

Same to you,
Nikolaus