Re: Fwd: jail sockstat shows gdnc, gdomap, casperd as enabled

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Fwd: jail sockstat shows gdnc, gdomap, casperd as enabled
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 12:03:18 +0200

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
The original complaint was that GNUstep applications start gdnc and gdomap,
which by default bind to a public IP.  This is almost certainly not a sane
default anymore, as very few users actually want to use gdnc / gdomap over the
network.  It would probably be better if we checked for a user default setting
and only enabled the network mode if the user has explicitly asked for it.
From what I know, this is untrue.

gdomap is not started by default and not required since a long time.
Only gdnc is started and, later when typing, gpbs gets started on demand.

I just tried starting GNUMail and it does not spawn gdomap and I find the standard "gdnc --auto --daemon" running.

On slow systems or if one needs to open/close an application many times, it might be useful to start the daemons on login or startup so that there is no delay, but that won't change the way it binds.

gdnc binds, to my knowledge, by default to unix-domain sockets.This behaviour is controlled by NSPortIsMessagePort why by default is YES. On GNU/HURD, where we don't have Unix sockets, it needs set to NO, otherwise it wont work, this proves the default behaviour.

Richard can surely give more information.

Riccardo