Re: Is a move to github in order??

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Is a move to github in order??
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 11:24:05 +0100

On 26 May 2014, at 00:54, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Pet peeve: GitHub is too often mentioned when Git itself is what's
> necessary.)

In my estimation, GitHub is what makes git attractive.  Git itself has numerous
irritations, but the tight integration of everything on GitHub is very nice.
I'm now using it pretty much exclusively for hosting my projects.

> Further comments to Gregory's original post:
> 0. GitHub has Mercurial support? If so, schweet. But maybe you're referring
> to hg-git on the client end?

You can check out / clone a GitHub repo using git, hg, or svn.  Just copy the
URL it gives you and pass it to the client.  The server handles all of the
translation.

> 1. That's a good reason to have a mirror there and possibly to accept patches
> through there... not necessarily for it to "officially" live there.

Doing this requires two-way sync, and git is really bad at this - it divides
the world into upstreams and downstreams and doesn't like it when you have both
roles.

> 2. Do we want to do it through GitHub? Let's think about this. Gerrit is nice
> for code review.

Part of the advantage of using GitHub is that you get all of this stuff for
free. GNUstep is a small project, and having little bits of infrastructure
hosted by random volunteers doesn't work well.  Étoilé used ReviewBoard for a
bit, but then it broken and Nicolas didn't have time to fix it.  The result?
No code review tool for a few years.

> 3. I don't think that giving GNUstep content to GitHub is a good idea.

Because?  We've moved all of Étoilé there and it's a lot nicer to work with
than Svannah.

> 4. This is a major reason for going to Git and having at least a mirror on
> GitHub.

For FreeBSD, we have a GitHub mirror and it means that we lose most of the
advantages of GitHub.  That's fine, because for FreeBSD we have a cluster admin
team who are maintaining a few racks full of equipment for FreeBSD and can set
up and run various things for us to give equivalent functionality.  This is not
the case for GNUstep, however: the FreeBSD clusteradm team spends more time on
cluster admin work than the current active GNUstep contributors spend on
GNUstep in total.

That said, I don't think I should have too strong an opinion on this subject.
I've had little time for GNUstep recently and have increasingly little interest
in Objective-C.  My last attempt to make a GUI application with GNUstep
produced something that basically works, but was so much effort to get working
that I'm seriously tempted to go and learn Qt and rewrite it.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1