Re: install PREFIX during packaging

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: install PREFIX during packaging
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 18:32:34 +0100

Tests/GNUmakefile is a sub-make. It is very possible that DESTDIR is not properly export'ed.

I'd suggest trying:
export DESTDIR=blah
make install

If this works, then the issue is one instance of make being naughty and not exporting DESTDIR into another make's environment.

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

On 14 May 2014, at 23:17, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wolfgang Lux wrote:
>> The standard solution is to set the DESTDIR environment variable to a staging directory where you can install the package, e.g.,
>>   make install DESTDIR=/tmp/gnustep-base
> I am doing exactly that.
> gmake install DESTDIR=xxx
>
> it works, but make fails in:
> Making all in Resources ...
> gmake[3]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
> Making all in Tests ...
> If you want to run the gnustep-base testsuite, please type 'make check'
> /opt/csw/bin/ginstall: cannot create regular file `/opt/csw/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/Additional/base.make': Permission denied
> Makefile.postamble:46: recipe for target 'before-install' failed
> gmake[2]: *** [before-install] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/home/multix/code/opencsw/gnustep-base/trunk/work/build-isa-sparcv8plus/gnustep-base-1.24.6'
> Makefile:48: recipe for target 'install-sourcegs' failed
>
> even if destdir is to somethign inside my home, it fails apparently during "Tests" ? But tests are not even executed.. I wonder.

It's not in tests, it's in Makefile.postamble (line 46) after Tests has been done.

However, in my copy of the source that line is installing to $(DESTDIR)$(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/Additional/base.make

So it looks like DESTDIR is not set for some reason.
Doing 'make install DESTDIR=/tmp/xxx' works on my CentOS-6 system (installs base.make as expected), so I guess anything unsetting DESTDIR is probably specific to your setup.