Scripting!

From: Kevin Ingwersen
Subject: Scripting!
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 02:21:04 +0200

Hey!

To explain this subject just a little. I come from actual web development - my
roots are deeply in PHP. The only reason I ever learned C++, followed by C, was
due to the need to write a php extension. But due to my C++ lectures, I came
across objective-c, and fell in love with its syntax, basicaly x). But this
made me ask the following question:

Why is this not available in scripting?

A year later, I had to ask:

Is it even possible to use a scripting language, based on ObjC syntax, outside
of OS X?

To be honest, why is there none? Objective-C is a great language - not just for
GUI coding. I find that its named parameters are a key-concept. It simply makes
function calls so much more understandable - even when you return to your
project a year later. My favorite example that I show friends is an actual
person. See:

Mother* mom = [[Mother alloc] init];
[mom pleaseBring:@"beer" to:@"Sofa" withAmount:1];

I do not need to explain this, do I :)

But, I have not given up. Years after my discovery, I have had times where I
took google searches…and at a random sudden, Objective-J was created! This is
one amazing concept, as I see it. But the downside: You can’t embed it.

So I wanted to ask this Objective-C community here: Is there a viable,
cross-platform, scripting language with actual ObjC syntax? If not - why! :)

Before I go and poke people to improve their parsers to add this syntax, I
wanted to ask around first. I am too young in C++ to write my own scripting
language at the moment (I started last year september), so I cant just do it
myself x)

Kind regards, Ingwie.