Re: GNUstep on Android

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Android
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 22:58:20 +0100

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Mathias Bauer <mathias_bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

Currently I'm trying to convince the "configure" of gnustep base to use
the Android toolchain and find the freshly built libobjc2 for linking.

This *should* work out of the box on a clean Ubuntu 12.04 machine:
  https://bitbucket.org/ivucica/gnustep-android
I don't know how well it'll work on a non-clean machine, and you should definitely open the scripts and see what they're doing. For example, you may want to modify them to avoid downloading another copy of Android SDK and NDK (which is, IIRC, what these scripts will try to do).

Once you have that, you can study this to get an .apk:
  https://bitbucket.org/ivucica/thegrandexperiment
This should be relatively close to building a working .apk out of the box, but this is far, far less certain than the above. Think of these two as my pet experiments that, with study, may help others. These are by no means packaged solutions...

Sadly I haven't had a good idea or the willpower to focus on writing a decent tutorial, which would include trying this again on a completely blank Ubuntu 12.04 machine. (VPSes are good for that, but it still takes time.) So both projects may be completely broken -- and even more so with latest SDK/NDK and newer Ubuntu releases...

I will try to help if you need something. I may not be able to, as lately I get around my home machine even less than ever before -- but I can try to. My experience does not cover much more than what's outlined in the projects above.
--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net