Re: FHS filesystem layout issues [was: Re: Request for update and/or rel

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: FHS filesystem layout issues [was: Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance]
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:10:58 +0100

Am 31.01.2014 13:38, schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald:
> A better solution would be to extend gnustep-make and gnustep-base to
> support the separation, extending the existing filesystem layout code
> to be a little more fine-grained;

Thinking about this a bit ... isn't it possible/allowed to nest bundles?
For example a framework inside an application? Then you have a bundle
inside a bundle. To resolve this, these mappings can no longer be
absolute paths, but have to map a bundle-relative path to an absolute
installation path. Unless I'm mistaken.

Another strategy I'm thinking about is to bypass the file layout code on
FHS entirely. The build system already demands to make lists of headers,
binaries, whatever, so you could simply place them by type. configure
should know where to put this, it already supports --bindir, --libdir,
--includedir, etc. and even knows what a package is (see ./configure
--help, the description for --docdir)

For example, in -base, files listed in $(FOUNDATION_HEADERS) would go
where --includedir points.

All of this thinking is about FHS only. Wouldn't touch bundle-type
strategies.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter