Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:07:55 +0100

Hi,

Niels Grewe wrote:
Sorry, but since I have worked a lot on integration between GNUstep and
‘foreign’ desktop environments in the past few years, I feel compelled to
comment on this: I think it is ill-advised to draw too stark an opposition
between ‘true OpenStep’ and the likes of KDE/Gnome/Unity etc. At least in my
view, we are not trying to improve integration because we believe that their
approaches to interacting with a computer are inherently better (in that case,
I would probably be contributing to those projects instead), but precisely
because we have limited manpower: Providing interfaces to hook into stuff that
other people have already written (and are probably committed to maintaining
for a while) is much more effective than writing everything from scratch. It’s
also a good way for ‘onboarding’ people who just want to try out a piece of
GNUstep-based software. If it blends into their existing setup nicely, I would
assume that it’s a bit more likely that they stick around and contribute. So
rather than looking at it as a dilution of the OpenStep ideals, I would ask you
to look at it as an opportunity to get people interested in our project.
Who sait it is bad? Nothing to be sorry about. I worked on a certain degree of foreign integration too and do use it. It has a lots of reasons to exist!

I was just remarking that it is nice that someone appreciates the roots of the design.

I wasn't arguing that it is bad to expand our possibilities, but just nice to remember where we come from. Sometimes we think so much about integration, that the origin is despised.

For me, on my persona computer, I love WindowMaker, I love Vertical Menus and all the rest. I also aprpeciate being abel to run my apps on other, foreign stuff. That's all.

No need to start a flamewar, No need to be sorry.

Riccardo