Re: DBus Menu in Gtk theme

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: DBus Menu in Gtk theme
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 20:09:48 +0000

Happy new year everybody!

I’ll just do my own bit of ‘thread necromancy’, as Ivan adequately put it. I
finally found the time to hack a bit more on this D-Bus menu thing. I
originally started working on this back in the summer at the Cambridge
hackathon. It took me a while to find enough time to get all the bits and
pieces in order, but I finally have a partially working implementation of
Canonical’s global menu protocol. Please see [0] for a screenshot of Ink
running with a theme that delegates displaying the menu to the Ubuntu menu
server. Unfortunately, it’s not very useful at the moment, because I haven’t
implemented sending signals/notifications from DBusKit out to other D-Bus
objects. This is required to keep the menu server updated about the current
status of the menu, so by the time you start interacting with the menu, the
structure is out of date and ends up getting a bit messed up, so many of the
menu items won’t work properly. Still, it’s a pretty good start (and resulted
in quite a few improvements and bugfixes to DBusKit!) and I intend to add the
few missing parts soon, so that it becomes actually usable.

If you want to check it out in the meantime, please update to the latest trunk
version of -gui -back and dbuskit. The bundle that proxies the menu to D-Bus is
located in ./Bundles/DBusMenu, and there is an example theme in
./Examples/GlobalMenu that shows you how to integrate the global menu into a
theme.

Cheers,

Niels

[0] http://www.halbordnung.de/~thebeing/gnustep/global-menu-ink.png