Re: cmake error on Ubuntu 13.10

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: cmake error on Ubuntu 13.10
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:26:38 +0000

Those are almost certainly runtimes shipping with GCC, and they're (like GCC itself when it comes to Objective-C) not recommended these days. Active development of the language is done by Apple and others using Clang, and lately David is implementing new language features more quickly than they appear in released versions of GCC.

So if you want to have the state-of-the-art-while-using-free-platforms Objective-C development environment:
- GNUstep built from SVN
- Clang built from SVN
- libobjc2 built from SVN

The most troubling component here is Clang, as Clang and LLVM take quite some time and disk space to be built. So you can try skipping that, it should still be fine.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:
Am 27.12.2013 15:08, schrieb David Chisnall:
> It is not possible to build clang without Objective-C[++] support.
objc/runtime.h is provided by the runtime, not the compiler.

Am 27.12.2013 14:58, schrieb Ivan Vučica:
> Languages are supported, it's just the runtime that is missing ;-)

Excellent. Part of the problem solved.

> Not that I encourage that; everyone should use David's libobjc2 which, to
> the best of my knowledge, is not in Debian.

There's "libobjc3" and "libobjc4". libobjc4 has a version tag "4.8.1".
It's a library only, the corresponding -dev package installs headers for
gcc privately. I assume this isn't libobjc2.

Accordingly, there's no need to build clang/llvm. Building libobjc2
(Chris' one) is sufficient. Would be a good update for the build
instructions. I still have no write access.

Patryk, does this help you? A "apt-get install clang" should be
sufficient for the compiler part and allow to build libobjc2 directly.

Markus