Re: incompatible ABI when using the GUI

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: incompatible ABI when using the GUI
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 20:29:37 +0000

On Tue Oct 22 2013 at 2:44:38 PM, Lloyd Sargent <lloyd.sargent@gmail.com> wrote:

I do not build .app because under Linux they are a) poor implementations that vaguely mimick OS X and b) 99.9% of the time no one is using a resource that needs to change. The goal is a single file.

I would really LIKE to use the .app mechanism, but it appears that neither KDE nor GNOME are going to implement it. Using open-app is also pretty silly.

Hence, I do not use GNUstep-make. Not because it isn't a good piece of software, but because the result does not meet my end criteria: an executable where the resources reside in the executable. The requirement to use open-app just makes it even clunkier.

That's what symlinks and .desktop files are for, unless you need to move the app bundles around (which, if you use KDE and GNOME, where it is also unnatural to ship all resources inside the executable, you probably don't care that much about).