Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 10:17:39 -0500

Riccardo,

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Riccardo Mottola <rm@gnu.org> wrote:
Hey,

Gregory Casamento wrote:

Here's a radical idea: why not actually evaluate the goal first?  Before
throwing people at the problem, figure out what good reason there was
(if any) for Apple to go UIKit for mobile development instead of just
expanding the AppKit API.  Perhaps the right thing to do for GNUstep
doesn't involve *any* coders.

Here's an even more radical one.  We've already done much of this analysis.
  Just because you weren't involved doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The reason for Apple to implement UIKit is very simple. AppKit processes
mouse and keyboard driven events.  With a mouse you're forced to move the
pointer from one location to another.  On a phone or tablet you know
precisely where the user is pointing via touch events.  Another
consideration was the difference in form factor as well as the fact that
the framework needed to be lightweight and that is something AppKit isn't.
On the other side, you can have things work traditionally without a pointer without such a radical departure and it will still work, with more or less tweaking. Several modbile platforms were derived from desktop paradigms.

myStep, while unfinished, for example works quite well and scales on different devices like a phone or a tablet much better than iOS does.

So, in other words, while sadly not as integrated in development with us as we wish, we do have a mobile cousin. It works, it calls it even runs on hardware.

Yes... I'm aware of our mobile cousin.  Unfortunately, while interesting, it is not enough for reasons I won't explain in this thread.

Riccardo

PS: this thread is becoming a dead horse

Indeed it is.  It's getting tiring.   There are some salient points being made here, however.  Just because some people are being caustic about it doesn't make them wrong.