Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: James Carthew
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 00:43:04 +1100

Actually at first boot I didn't mean distro level. I just meant the first time you load the gnustep environment it should ask you about the window style you prefer. Distro management belongs with OSX/windows/FreeBSD/Debian/Ubuntu etc I do think that a gnustep session (etoile) should be a bigger priority than it currently is. I think etoile gets bogged down trying to be better than os rather than just working now and fixing those problems later.

On 2013-12-20 17:09:43 -0600 Doc O'Leary <droleary@7usenet2013.subsume.com> wrote:

>> Gregory can put on his GNUstep Maintainer hat and say 'we should implement
>> UIKit', but it has no effect unless someone actually does the work.
>> Implementing UIKit is more work than one person can do by themselves.
>
> Again with the stupid rush to implement things . . .

Remember that, in general, write free software is a hobby. Just to see
what happens.

> Here's a radical idea: why not actually evaluate the goal first?  Before
> throwing people at the problem, figure out what good reason there was (if
> any) for Apple to go UIKit for mobile development instead of just expanding
> the AppKit API.  Perhaps the right thing to do for GNUstep doesn't involve
> *any* coders.
>
>> Talk on a mailing list is cheap.
>
> And yet so much more valuable than aimless code.

"More valuable" is subjective.

>> If you're complaining that no one else is, then you're not contributing
>> anything useful.
>
> Nonsense.  Only a fool thinks that more monkeys sitting at typewriters is the
> way to get better books.  If you sincerely don't see the point of debating
> the correctness of an approach, my opinion of FreeBSD is greatly reduced.
>
>> Open source projects are not created for users, they're created for
>> contributors.
>
> More rubbish.  Or, rather, incredibly sad if true.  I mean, who exactly are
> you being "open" to if you're all being that selfishly insular?  Is this
> seriously the thinking behind FreeBSD?

Contribute to a free software project isn't a job is, in general, for fun.