Re: Repos

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Repos
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 10:40:03 +0000

On 21 Dec 2013, at 10:05, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hm. I start to wonder why is the copyright assignment needed at all to get
> code into GNUstep?

The FSF requires copyright assignment for two reasons.  The first is that they
may wish to change the license.  We've done this in GNUstep in the past, moving
some GPL'd code to LGPL when it was moved from an application into a library
(this would be simplified by making all of the GNUstep tools LGPLv2.1 or later,
which would also simplify distribution, but that's another issue).

The more important issue is that only the copyright holder has standing to sue
for copyright infringement.  If someone uses GNUstep code in violation of the
license, we'd probably like the FSF to chase them.  They can't do this nearly
as easily if the copyright is held by a group of individuals.  There's also the
related issue that if someone reaches a settlement with the FSF no one else can
sue them over the same bit of code.  This is a problem for Linux, because a few
kernel devs are somewhat obsessive about the GPL and have a habit of suing
companies over GPL violations, but even if you settle with them there's no
guarantee that no other kernel devs will sue you.  The FSF, as part of a
settlement, sells a retroactive commercial license for FSF software, so at the
end of losing a case against them you have the the license that you need and no
one else can sue you.  This is a big stick that helps them in negotiation.

So, while copyright assignment is annoying, it's likely required as long as
GNUstep is distributed under a restrictive license.  It's less important for
the runtime, which is MIT licensed, because you have to try really hard to
violate the MIT license...

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine