Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:27:13 +0100

David,

David Chisnall wrote:
On 19 Dec 2013, at 22:59, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

Some opinion polls relevant to the recent discussion...

Should GNUstep's website be updated?
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=52b37953e4b084acd8563301

Should GNUstep support UIKit?
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=52b3799be4b084acd8563305
I don't think either of these questions is productive.  Both have been
discussed to death on the mailing lists and at dev meetings over the years.
The consensus to both is 'yes'.  The web site is dire and UIKit is increasingly
important.
Exactly. Of course, when we go to discussion "how", things will fall apart :)

Also one thing is "should". then, should it be a priority compared to other things GNUstep should do.

Now that we've done the easy bit, the question is who is going to do the
update.  The FSF said when we asked them to fund development that they don't do
that, they're an advocacy organisation, so maybe we should ask them for help
with the web site, as that definitely falls under the umbrella of advocacy.

On the UIKit side... patches welcome.  As with anything else in open source,
you need someone who needs the code and decides it's cheaper to improve an open
source project than do it all in house.  We have lots of consumers of
Foundation for whom that is true, but very few consumers of AppKit and none of
UIKit.  If you can find some, then we can start coordinating improvements.
Yes.