Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:27:41 -0600

In article <mailman.9679.1387478362.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> You wanted evidence that leadership is open to discussion. Consider it open
> for discussion.  I have said many times in the past that we are willing to
> listen to anything that can improve this project as a whole.  I don't think
> any good ideas are being rejected from the get go.

They certainly don't seem to be leading to discussions that improve the
overall direction of the project.  Case in point is my root "rant" to
this discussion that got dropped: what *is* the current message of
GNUstep?  Do people agree that the website is a confused mess when it
comes to communicating that message?

A great example of the underlying issue is how you treat the Mac/iOS.
What *should* be a platform of coders and existing apps you'd like to
get over to GNUstep, you instead seem actively hostile towards.  You
essentially tell OS X users to get lost!  It makes no sense to me that
*that* is the result of the MacPorts issues.

> I think what Ivan is
> trying to say is the same thing that I have discovered and that is that
> best way to do anything in an open source project is to do it and see what
> happens.

And what I'm trying to say is that, in my experience, that is just so
much wasted effort without understanding the big picture.  Why would I
bother working up a Mac-friendly best practices HOWTO if the overall
desire of the GNUstep community is to remain hostile to them?  Same goes
for coding; don't slap away the hands that know how to scratch your itch.

> I would very much like to capitalize on the popularity of UIKit, the
> problem has only been one of time for me personally.  We can use all the
> help we can get on GNUstep.   I and others welcome any contributions you
> are able to provide or help us to achieve.

So you say here, but where is that being communicated to the larger
community on the website or elsewhere?  These are the harsh realities
that need to be resolved.  I clearly have strong opinions on what should
be done, but I still have *zero* idea whether or not that is the
direction GNUstep *actively* wants to go.  I mean, there is *nothing* on
the website that indicates any knowledge of the existence of iOS, let
alone any efforts to "capitalize on the popularity".  Either that needs
to be changed or it needs to be further discussed.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,