Re: GNUstep-based apps with OSX-versions?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep-based apps with OSX-versions?
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:12:10 +0200

Hi Martin,

On 10/23/13 09:15, Martin Dietze wrote:
On Tue, October 22, 2013, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Note that if binaries are provided for mac, then they are PPC and won't run
on latest Mac, since Rosetta was stupidly removed.
I think this is an issue for Mac users like myself. I would
still like to use some of my favourite GNUstep-based apps, but
past attempts to set up a GNUstep development environment were
unsuccessful (I did not really invest a lot of time though).

Having binaries (not only for PPC) available in the net would
be very helpful. Since there are for sure some people who build
GNUstep apps on OSX, I'd greatly appreciate them sharing the
results of their effort...
The apps mentioned in the thread are "true" Mac apps, that is, they do not require a GNUstep environment setup. You can just compile them with XCode. Perhaps I did not stress this detail enough, they are not a "port", they are real apps which do not require gnustep to run. At most, other GNUstep libraries are required, but those too will be provided either in binary form.

In other words, with XCode it should be quite simple. Perhaps the project files are in an old format, but newer XCode versions will hopefully open them. I right now stick to a gloroious PPC mac because that is what I love and I do not like current OSX versions very much, this strives my engagement in GNUstep! But also for now deters me for spending more money in Apple products. If that may change, I will offer Universal binaries myself.

I'm curious in which applications you are interested? Except GNUMail which is a very good app, most other cited apps are unique to GNUstep, but under Mac they end among a hoard of other apps often more capable.

I myself use LaternaMagica, PRICE and FTP almost daily on my Mac and I extra developed them for my own usage; to a lesser extent Grr and Zipper. DataBasin too, but I think it is quite a niche app! But other apps (except GShisen to which I am addicted) currently have better counterparts on Mac and I use the "port" mainly for testing against Cocoa and "for the sake of it". In the future, of course, I hope that their power will improve. A dual version of Graphos could prove nice, for example.

Riccardo