Re: Themes (again)

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Themes (again)
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 10:40:22 +0200

oberhage@uni-duisburg-essen.de wrote:
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
: : [...]

: I am very glad to hear that it's not just me.

Well yes, you're not alone :-).

: OK, silly question. Window Maker one, really, not GNUstep.

: Whenever I have tried the themes in the past -- and not liked any of
: them -- I could not find how to turn them off again. In other words,
: to go back.

Really 'wdm'? Not via 'gworkspace'?

I've not tried anything like this with 'wdm', but used to have it as
login-manager for our machines until Debian dropped it. Now with 'wheezy'
it came back and I'm planning to switch back to it.

There I've always only changed the 'wdm'-files in /etc/X11. Did you have
a look there?

With 'gworkspace', I would assume it's writing into the 'defaults'-database.
One way to detect the changes might be to save that file, install a new
theme and 'diff' for the changes. I've also never done that, but am willing
to try.
if you are using "current" apps, then just use the themes module of SystemPreferences. Or go into the info menu and click on the theme and a per-application theme panel will appear.

You shouldn't need to fiddle on the command line, IMO. You always have the option to, but for standard operation you shouldn't and if something is missing, report it

Riccardo