Re: draft of a new Open Source Commercial License

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: draft of a new Open Source Commercial License
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:25:06 +0200

Hi,

Pirmin Braun wrote:
we plan to license the upcoming IntarS 7 under this license.
What do you think about it?
I'm not an expert, but I to feel like it will not work, that is, not be considered a OS licese.

Have you checked OSI licenses? The last time I looked for a suitable license, I was already puzzled by how difficult it was to effectively "dual license" between commercial and non-c. users. Look at the maze here: http://opensource.org/

I would directly write OSI or even the FSF for the needs you haev, to see if there is a way to incorporate them.

I think that it is nice to have such enterprise software open-sourced, however I think it is quite bad publicity if a "bad" or "fake" open-source license gets used (wthink of the original Apple and Sun licenses) because it may anger many and give space to critique.

Riccardo