Re: Is GNUstep Examples maintained?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep Examples maintained?
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:05:55 +0100

On 20 Aug 2013, at 20:30, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> David Chisnall wrote:
>> We currently publish this:
>>
>> http://www.gnustep.org/experience/examples.html
>>
>> But it doesn't seem to build anymore.  There's no link to the repository in
>> the web page, and I can't find it in svn.  Is anyone planning or updating
>> it, or should I just delete the FreeBSD port of it?
>>
> wait, inside the example there is Ink :) GFractal and GPuzzle work for me
> too, I remember updating the latter, IIRC. GSTest compiled and worked no
> longer than 2 weeks ago.
>
> I'll try, but if you can give what's wrong at your place we can keep them
> from bittrotting (which would be good, even if you don't want the FreeBSD
> package, potential user want working examples, broken ones are of no good).

The errors I was hitting were in CalcBrain.m, which is doing the pre-NeXT thing
of declaring instance variables inside @implementation contexts, which is now
allowed in the non-fragile ABI for declaring private ivars and so results in an
error with things being declared twice.

I think some of this stuff may have been fixed in svn, but there's been no
release.  This is true of a great many things that we are shipping, in fact.
Most of the things on the downloads page on the GNUstep web site don't actually
build with the latest GNUstep release, which is quite embarrassing.

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine