Re: How to add Objective-C to GCC

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: How to add Objective-C to GCC
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:21:09 +0200

Hi,

WaveOS wrote:
I'm installing gnustep on a system where i have GCC 4.1.2 without objective-c support.

i had added sucessfully gnustep-make, gnuste-base generates lots of GNUstepmakefiles and even, when i tried to build Gworkspace, it had configure properly without asking for gnustep-gui.

I wonder how you were actually configure base/gui without working obj-c, since it chekcs for that

Before getting GWorkspace to work, if you are working on an "experimental" operating system like syllable, be sure that your compiler has gcc support and that works. If you install a second compiler, like gcc 4.2 or if you don't mind the different licenes gcc 4.7/4.8 or clang, then be sure they get used for all compilation and not some weird "MIX". either play with your $PATH, or configure/make setting CC (and CXX for certain rare applications like PDFKit which require C++).

Try just working with make and then compiling + testing (with make check) base and see that not too mamy test fail, then do the same with gui and then back.

I am actually curious wihich  backend you are using on Syllable.

Riccardo