Re: GNUstep Kickstarter Project

From: Dr . H . Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: GNUstep Kickstarter Project
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:07:47 +0200

Am 13.08.2013 um 15:13 schrieb Luboš Doležel:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:26:46 +1000, Abhi Beckert wrote:
>> On 13 Aug 2013, at 6:13 am, Gregory Casamento  wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys, I've launched a kickstarter project in the hopes of
>>> getting some time to work exclusively on GNUstep
>>
>> I've just linked to this on Sequel Pro's twitter account (open source
>> mac app with ~50,000 active users). Porting to Windows is our second
>> most common feature request.
>>
>> I'm also going to talk to the team about pledging some of the
>> donations we've received over the years... it's mostly sitting in a
>> bank account doing nothing right now.
>>
>> Sounds awesome!
>> - Abhi
>>

> There will be some missing APIs on GNUstep's side, though - at least
> something from WebKit and Core Data (what shape is it in?).

If you are just looking for the API, "Simple Web Kit" is almost compatible to
WebKit. Looking at functionality it is 100% HTML, 70% CSS and 10% JavaScript.
The Backend is missing Table and List rendering - which are quite important for
any web page. Since modern web page use all three technologies, the impression
for the product of all three of them is 100%*70%*10% = 7% :) If I could get
some funding from the kickstarter I could spend a week or two on that.

For CoreData we have just "rescued" the old stuff 4 or 5 years ago and I have
upgraded the NIB files of the DataBuilder so that it compiles and builds and
runs on Mac OS X as well. But since I am not an expert of CoreData, I can't
tell what is missing or incomplete, but it did look as much more than 50% is
there.

-- hns