Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:03:12 +0200

Hi,

Pirmin Braun wrote:
maybe the world has changed in favour for Web UI instead of Desktop UI?
As a "hype" yes. As real usage, I don't know.
For newcomers spending educational time on building Web Apps makes more sense
than digging into NSView.
Those who really want to build Desktop Applications will head for Mac OS X as
the real thing anyway. From what I saw at FOSDEM, everybody has got a Mac Book.
Because it is "in" and it works. I'd love to get there with my Linux or BSD laptops. But GNUstep is a far cry.. and the OS underneath is primitive. That together, makes me always use it as a "second tier" laptop, as much as I love it.
The Desktop Apps like Mail.app from GNUStep are nice and I love them. But this
is the same love as to old motorcylces that remind me of my youth. Any host OS
has got those Apps already out of the box.
Well, I work "in the web" a bit like you. I live from it. And I hate it enough. It is powerful and has many advantages. But no mail client be considered something serious. I find google mail a joke (and use it only because it being a web app makes it accesisble) as are OWA and even the very "advanced" yahoo mail... at the end it is a JS and HTML hack and it you will get into corners. Yahoo mail shows a lot of effort... little stability :)

So I see it the other way: enterprise apps are going into the cloud. Now and for the next years. A lot of bad can be said and perhaps afterwards something better will emerge, but for now that is certainty.

However, I find myself in the opposite direction at work: sometimes certain tasks can still only be solved nicely with a local app (be it desktop, laptop, tablet). And bridging the two words is what is useful. You want to bring the web to a desk app, I want it the other way.
I think, adding a GNUStep Framework to build fancy, industrial-strength, high
performance/small footprint Web Apps in no time would boost interest. Once
there was WebObjects. Now there is IntarS and I'd be happy to contribute.
Have a look:
http://pirmin.de/GSWeb/Aprica3000230.woa/?pw=root&loginname=Administrator
Anybody interested to help? Since we're a commercial Open Source company, there
is also money available.

It's sad that WO is somehow lingering and that we had two competing implementations... at the end we need proabably something higher level too. Many thoughts, many ideas

Riccardo