Re: NSPanel and modal run loop

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: NSPanel and modal run loop
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 00:33:59 +0200

I'd explicitly bind escape to the Cancel button; I think Apple's Interface Builder does that when you type string "Cancel" as the title.

Also, doesn't the NSPanel already have performClose:? Shouldn't your -cancelPressed: look like this?

- (IBAction)cancelPressed:(id)sender
{
    [panel performClose:sender];
    [NSApp stopModalWithCode:NSAlertAlternateReturn];
}

I think I read somewhere in Apple docs that they discourage direct calls upon -close, because -performClose: theoretically allows additional checks to be done, while -close closes the window immediately.

It may also be notable that NSSavePanel.m from GNUstep contains this function -- is the order of the calls the key thing here?

- (void) cancel: (id)sender
{
  ASSIGN(_directory, pathToColumn(_browser, [_browser lastColumn]));
  [self _updateDefaultDirectory];
  [NSApp stopModalWithCode: NSCancelButton];
  [_okButton setEnabled: NO];
  [self close];
}

In a Mac app, I'd look into window-modal sheets instead of application-modal windows. Also, most of the time, one can and should avoid application-modal windows of any kind, as Wolfgang already mentioned. What does this particular panel do?