Re: clang vs gcc 4.7

From: Tom Davie
Subject: Re: clang vs gcc 4.7
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 11:51:41 +0000

On 3 Mar 2013, at 11:45, Luis Garcia Alanis <luis@garcia.tv> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading that clang had support for ObjectiveC 2.0 and gcc didn't.
> However I also read that as of gcc 4.6 it also supports ObjectiveC 2.0.
>
> Is there a reason clang should be used?
>
> Etoile seems to require clang. This makes me thing clang still doing
> something that gcc cant.

Clang runs faster in -O0 mode.
Clang produces faster code in -O3/-Os mode (especially for objc).
Clang produces better error messages.
Clang will be updated in the future with all of apple's changes to objective-c.
Clang is more friendlily licensed (not that I want to start a flamewar, and I
realise this argument may not be strong on this particular list).
Clang's codebase is easier to work on.
Clang supports being used as a library, and hence can have other tools (e.g.
google's refactored, or the static and (in early development) dynamic
analysers) built upon it.
Clang's C++ support is better than gcc's.

Is there any reason gcc should be used over clang?

Thanks

Tom Davie