Re: Gorm segfault on exit

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Gorm segfault on exit
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 09:15:36 +0100

As I wrote I had to do this over twenty times to be able to reproduce the issue. Just keep on trying :-)

But being able to reproduce the problem wont help much. Riccardo has it all the time and still he cannot find out much more about it.

I had a look at the code of the class, that was reported as a zombie and there I found this comment:

/*
 * The setFirstResponder method is used in this editor to allow it to
 * respond to messages forwarded to the window appropriately.
 * Unfortunately, once it's set to something, it cannot be set to nil.
 * This method allows us to set it to nil, thus preventing a memory leak.
 */

I would start off from here and look for a specific case, where the first responder isn't cleared, even though the editor was released. The code that is used here only makes sure that the initial first responder is cleared, but it does not check, whether the actual first responder is the same and needs to be cleaned as well. I would suggest to just add this code to the unsetInitialFirstResponder method and let Riccardo test again.

As this is in no way connected to gui or any of the changes that happened there. This problem wont stop a gui release and I will drop out of this conversation.

Fred