Re: Trouble to compile gnustep-base-1.24 on Fedora rawhide

From: Citizen Jimserac
Subject: Re: Trouble to compile gnustep-base-1.24 on Fedora rawhide
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 14:05:45 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 29, 4:46 am, Jochen Schmitt <Joc...@herr-schmitt.de> wrote:
> Halli,
>
> I have try to compile gnustep-base-1.24.0 on Fedora rawhide and have got
> the following error messages:
>
>  Compiling file GCDictionary.m ...
>  Compiling file GSLock.m ...
>  Compiling file GSMime.m ...
>  Compiling file GSXML.m ...
>  Compiling file GSFunctions.m ...
> GSXML.m: In function '-[GSXMLNode description]':
> GSXML.m:987:38: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> GSXML.m:987:60: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
>  Compiling file GSInsensitiveDictionary.m ...
> make[4]: *** [obj/Additions.obj/GSXML.m.o] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [internal-subproject-all_] Error 2
>
> the build was running agains gcc-4.7.2-8.
>
> It may be nice, if anyoune have a hint to solve this issue.
>
> Best Regards:
>
> Jochen Schmitt

I went all through this sort of nonsense 11 months ago and got
nowhere, went back to Ubuntu and used that for a while.

Then.... about a couple of weeks ago, I put Fedora 17 on a new box and
decided to try and get GNUStep (and of course the ability to compile
in Objective-C and develop) going.   I was ready for the usual
slogging through gnumake issues, clang, bypass gcc,  the beloved
libobjc etc. etc..

BUT... then I stumbled on the following, from a Rupert Pupkin posting
on the Fedora Development forum:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1590093&postcount=16

Do this to install GNUstep in Fedora 17:
Code:
yum install gcc-objc libobjc gnustep-back gnustep-base-devel gnustep-
gui-devel

I did that, then did the usual sourcing with:
. /usr/lib/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

And then found to my amazement that I was done (slaps forehead with
hand...).
The whole install had taken only a few minutes. So far, everything
I've tried has compiled... GWorkSpace etc. etc..
By using yum, all the dependencies that I used to chase down one by
one had been done automatically.

(p.s. I'm using classic gnome desktop)

My thanks to Rupert.