Re: Emacs looking for support

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Emacs looking for support
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:37:01 -0500

Hi Stefan,

I just tried building emacs from bzr against gnustep trunk.

Emacs compilation fails at the following command where it's linking the temacs
executable, because the gnustep library includes, as well as -lobjc, are in the
wrong place - they need to be moved to the end of the command like the rest of
the -l flags:

gcc -std=gnu99 -rdynamic -Demacs  -I. -I/home/ericwa/emacs/src -I../lib
-I/home/ericwa/emacs/src/../lib    -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -fno-strict-aliasing
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/alsa   -pthread
-I/usr/include/librsvg-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0
-I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1
-I/usr/include/freetype2    -I/usr/include/libxml2   -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0
-I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include        -MMD -MF deps/.d -MP
-g3 -O2   -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgnustep-gui -lgnustep-base -lobjc
-lpthread  \
          -o temacs  dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o  window.o
charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o bidi.o cm.o term.o
terminal.o xfaces.o   dbusbind.o emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o
buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o cmds.o
casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o
editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o syntax.o
unexelf.o bytecode.o process.o gnutls.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o
atimer.o doprnt.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o xml.o profiler.o
fontset.o fringe.o image.o nsterm.o nsfns.o nsmenu.o nsselect.o nsimage.o
nsfont.o terminfo.o lastfile.o    vm-limit.o   ../lib/libgnu.a       -lasound
-pthread -lrsvg-2 -lm -lgio-2.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lgmodule-2.0
-lgobject-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0    -lrt  -lrt  -ldbus-1 -lpthread
-lrt    -lxml2      -ltinfo        -lgnutls   -lpthread   -lm

I attached a patch which fixes compilation (although it's still wrong in that
the gs libs are hardcoded.)

The app runs for me, although there are several problems:
-scrollbars are positioned incorrectly
-some characters in the modeline are drawn as boxes
-clicking in the text causes all open windows to flicker for several seconds
and the scrollbar to jump around
-toolbar doesn't work

Hopefully this is a bit of help.

Eric