Re: PlayingSound

From: Robert Slover
Subject: Re: PlayingSound
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:34:37 -0400

On Sep 1, 2012, at 19:17, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now onwards. It may indeed be interesting to patch gnustep-gui to play a
> sound through NSSound, and SystemPreferences.app to allow selection of the
> sound. Just to check in case I feel like doing it:
>
> Maintainers of -gui! Is there a reason why that isn't done this way already?
> I'd use NSSound and NSUserDefaults, and fall back to NSBeep in case +[NSSound
> soundNamed:] returns nil. (And, naturally, cache the return value.)

How about also providing a user default to select whether the system alert uses
the system beep or plays a sound? At work, I nearly always have my sound turned
off, so that I don't have to listen to any of the annoying sounds any of the
web apps use for every little mouse action, but have my X server configured to
use the system beep for bells so that I still hear meaningful alerts from
Emacs. I would like to be able to make the same choice with GNUStep apps.

--Robert