Re: TextMate @ GitHub

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: TextMate @ GitHub
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 09:55:24 -0400

The benefits of porting TextMate would be largely political.  It would be something nice to point to and say "yeah, that works."

I looked at the code myself and agree with both of your conclusions.  I was disappointed that it didn't just use the "standard" tools since there's a possibility that buildtool might have been able to handle it if it had.

GC

On Sunday, August 12, 2012, David Chisnall wrote:
On 12 Aug 2012, at 12:45, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> On 12.08.2012 00:04, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
>> Did you see this? The most advanced text editor for OS X just got open sourced!
>>
>> https://github.com/textmate/textmate
>>
>> http://macromates.com/
>

> I had a look after that software was mentioned on the Heise news ticker. The functionality seems great but the code itself is a lot of C++ and Objective-C++. Nothing I would be interested in getting supported on GNUstep.

Ah, you found the code.  I had a look, but it seemed to be a massive tangle of frameworks, and I gave up looking for the relevant parts.  A lot of people seem to like TextMate, so it might be nice to have a decent port.  Objective-C++ is fine - LanguageKit uses Objective-C++ and it works nicely with GNUstep, but the build system for TextMate looks like it would be a lot of work to port.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1