Re: Chameleon - UIKit for Mac development

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Chameleon - UIKit for Mac development
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:36:24 +0200

On 12. 6. 2012., at 23:05, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> Well actually at the moment somebody is working on implementing Core
> Animation for GNUstep and that somebody is you :-)

Heh, I *did* mention that it's being actively worked on :-)

> I think the Chameleon way of implementing UIKit is the most efficient one,
> developer wise. And if you get enough of CA in place it may even work on top
> of GNUstep. We should not waste any time on another way to do it, at least
> this is what we decided when we heard about Chameleon.

I strongly believe we need a separate UIKit implementation. We may base it in
part on Chameleon (or we may refer to Chameleon for ideas and documentation),
but as I said, Chameleon aims at getting UIKit to desktops.

A free implementation of UIKit APIs would ideally aim at bringing the same
touch-oriented experience as the platform for which the apps were originally
written for.

> For any non trivial UIKit application we will need most of the supporting
> libraries anyway, so lets start working on those and then try to use
> Chameleon on top of them.

Core Animation is being worked on, and in my tests, Opal seems to work nicely
:-)

Opal is missing support for some things that iOS developers use, like patterns,
but it's already working nicely.